Rush Injury Law
Call For A Free Consultation

What to Do After A Slip and Fall Accident


A slip and fall accident occurs when someone falls on another person's property due to some sort of safety hazard, such as wet floors, debris, potholes, or uneven carpeting. Many people sustain serious injuries from falling, including broken bones, back injuries, and head trauma. You may be able to hold the property owner liable and recover compensation for these injuries. However, the outcome of your case can be affected by the choices you make immediately after the accident. Increase your chances of recovering the compensation you deserve by learning what to do after a slip and fall:

Seek Medical Attention

Your first priority after any type of accident should be seeking medical attention for your injuries. If you believe that you are seriously injured, call 9-1-1 and try to stay as still as possible until help has arrived. If you do not receive emergency medical attention at the scene of the accident, it's important to visit a doctor as soon as possible afterwards. Be sure to tell your doctor every symptom that you are experiencing no matter how minor it may be. Hold onto all of your medical records so you can prove the extent of your injuries.

Gather Evidence

Collect information from any witnesses who happened to be around when you fell. If you were in a commercial establishment at the time, jot down the names of any employees who may have rushed to your side to help you after the fall. You should also take photos of the scene so you can document the dangerous condition that caused you to slip. Look around the area to see if you spot any surveillance cameras. If there are cameras, make a mental note of this so you can request a copy of the tapes later.

Report the Fall

It's important to let someone on the property know about the fall if there was no one there to witness it. Find the property owner, landlord, store manager, or supervisor and let them know what happened. However, do not give a full statement about the accident or comment on your injuries.

Contact an Attorney

It's in your best interests to get in touch with a personal injury attorney right away after the accident. This is especially true when you need to obtain surveillance footage from the property where the accident occurred before it is deleted. An attorney can help you investigate the factors that caused your accident, calculate the value of your claim, and negotiate with the at-fault party's insurance company.

If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, seek legal representation right away. Contact personal injury attorney James Rush at Rush Injury Law to learn how you can recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress and mental suffering, and more. Reach out to our law office by calling 415-897-4801 or filling out the online form on our website to request a free consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Want A Free Consultation?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us
Our Locations
  • Novato Office
    10 Commercial Blvd
    Novato, CA 94949

    Toll Free: 844-494-RUSH
    Phone: 415-985-7225
    Fax: 415-897-5316
    Novato Law Office Map

    San Francisco Office
    75 Broadway
    San Francisco, CA 94111

    Phone: 415-985-7225
    Map & Directions

    Santa Rosa Office
    3558 Round Barn Blvd
    Suite 200
    Santa Rosa, CA 95403

    Phone: 415-985-7225
    Map & Directions

    Mailing Address

Phone Numbers
  • Phone: 415-985-7225
  • Fax: 415-897-5316
  • Toll Free: 844-494-RUSH